This decline of faith and optimism may account for why Britain – once the most advanced nation on earth, which gave the world parliamentary democracy and inimitable centers of higher learning – is today more famous for exporting reality shows like Big Brother and Project Catwalk. For while religion affirms the infinite dignity of the human person, its absence robs life of its sanctity. Universal exploitation and humiliation for fame and fortune are the inevitable outgrowth.
Of course, America is no prize pig either. Religion is under assault from all sides whether it be from a president who believes that a large part of America has backwards beliefs and “cling to their guns and religion” to government bureaucrats who eagerly disregard our Constitutional right to practice religion. And one only has to read the news to see the negative affects our move away from God and religion has had. Without recognizing a higher authority and a better life to come, people just live for today. They live for money, fame, lust, and sloth. Just look at some of today’s headlines on the Drudge Report:
- REPORT: TSA agent caught with passenger’s iPad down pants…
- Woman kills cat with ‘second-hand heroin smoke’…
- Police Issue Warning After CRAIGSLIST Buyers Robbed At Purchase Meetups…
- Woman pleads guilty to tearing off daughter-in-law’s nipple during drunken brawl…
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Man snatches Picasso off gallery wall!
That is just a small glimpse of the fruits of a more secular society. And since we cannot appeal to a sense of morality (since morality implies religious beliefs) the only solution in a secular world is more rules and regulations. Because people are not encouraged to develop a native sense of right and wrong, bigger government interference is the only remedy. Our founding fathers realized that a stable, free, and open society is one based on religion. For example, George Washington had this to say about the role of religion and government:
- “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”
- “Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”
- “Mankind when left to themselves, are unfit for their own Government”
Enough with the political talk. After all, this is a prayer website focused on the rosary. So as spiritual people, how are we to respond? With the rosary of course! Pick a mystery and think of how it relates to society moving away from God and then pray for those poor souls. For example, think about The Second Sorrowful Mystery and Jesus’ suffering. Now think of all those people who suffer because they try to live without God in their lives. We pray that their suffering may be redemptive and that they come back into God’s grace. Or we can focus on The Third Luminous Mystery and how Jesus asks us to live for His kingdom of Heaven. Now think of all those people who live solely for this earthly kingdom. We pray that they will one day respond to Jesus’ call to conversion. Finally, think of The Fifth Glorious Mystery and pray to Mary, Queen of Heaven, for Her intercession in all the ills this world has brought upon itself because we refuse to live as God calls us. Any rosary mystery can apply to this issue of society moving away from God. The important part in reversing this trend is to PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! And when you think you’ve prayed enough, PRAY SOME MORE!
- Independence Day: Freedom Comes From God (answersforthefaith.com)
- Godlessness Has Doomed Britain (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Freedom of – not from – religion is the cornerstone of our personal liberty and our political freedom (oldsaltbooks.wordpress.com)
- If There is No God to Punish You, Why Be Moral? (msatheists.org)